Friday, March 9, 2012

Women's Day

It's funny how they make a day where women are to be celebrated and served (not going to mention how they don't really celebrate it in America). Uganda is typically a very much "women are meant to cook and have babies" society, but Women's Day is celebrated and the men are actually pretty good sports about cooking for the women in their lives.

Every year, the married guys of our compound come together to cook a huge meal for the women and they allow us single gals to take part in the festivities as well. I love the view of the kitchen of the guys there doing their specific tasks wearing their very stylish aprons.


This year though, there was a new twist. Three of the younger guys who have honestly become like brothers to me (especially over the past couple of weeks) got me dinner. It was pretty hilarious and pretty much amazing as they left at around 3 saying they will be back with the food. I was afraid that we wouldn't be eating until 10 since they were getting such a late start and I honestly wasn't sure if they knew what they were doing. But then come 5:45ish they arrive and ask "where should we eat?" They carried no sauce pans or plates, just their backpacks. As we got the dining hall, they clean off a table and get a huge serving plate and open their backpacks to pull out black plastic bags. Out of one bag comes pork cooked with cabbage that they got from a local restaurant, and then in the other bag there was rice, matooke (like plantains), and posho (kind of like mashed potatoes but more dense) all of which they either bought or scavenged for. Then we all sat down and ate from that one plate and talked and laughed and it was such a fun time with great food and I honestly couldn't stop smiling. I praise God for the "brothers" He's blessed me with both here and in the States - the real ones and the honorary ones. They are truly such blessings!



After that it was then time for the other gathering with the older crew. The guys brought over their pots of food and we all were able to enjoy some sweet fellowship as they served their wives and the other women in their lives (Rodah, Julie, and myself).


It was such a cool day and I just have to say that I love the people I serve alongside!

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text