Sunday, August 2, 2009

A little "situation"

Power (both literally and figuratively) is a funny thing here in Uganda. We randomly have power outages and Bev calls the power company and a while later it comes back on, but this weekend we encountered an unusual situation to most, but here it's not that uncommon. The other day our power went out and when Bev made her usual phone call they informed her of how people had been stealing the petrol that is used to power the transformer that powers our block, and therefore we have no way of receiving power at the moment. It has now been three days we've been without power and going through Sunday morning service was quite interesting, but we managed and it all worked out. I do have a highlight to the our current lack of power: last night I took a shower with freezing cold water (no power to run the water heater) and using a flashlight. I have to admit I'm now proud to say I can rough it, although I can't wait for the power to come back on. Through this experience I've definitely realized how spoiled I am even living here, because we do have power while a lot of the people who live here still don't, I feel guilty wining about it when that's all they've know...oh man I'm such a little princess sometimes it's really sad.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text