Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Growing up

Do you remember being a kid and almost every day begging your mom to measure you to see how much you've grown...sometimes doing that a couple of times a day? As children, we were so excited to grow up... to watch what our parent's watched, to get later bed times, to not have to order from the kid's meal, to be able to go on certain rides, etc... The funny thing is that we many times fail to have that excitement about spiritual growth. We are content with the "simple" things, and fail to desire to grow up.

In Hebrews 5, the writer rebukes those he's writing to for how they haven't matured in the ways that they should. That instead of being adults in their spiritual walks, they are still babies. They can't handle meat, but instead can only handle milk. Well... as I was reading that this morning it really did strike me thinking about just how true that is in my own life. I don't yearn to grow like I should, I'm content with such a shallow walk with Christ. He wants me to "know Him more", yet my pursuit of that growth and knowledge has been found wanting. As it says in Hebrews, it's a constant use of God's Word to distinguish what's good and evil and then to become well acquainted with what it means to live a righteous life. I'll be the first to admit that my life is far from righteous a lot of times. It's not just about knowing things, it's about life... and no matter how much I teach that truth, very seldom do I seek to follow it. I guess all this is to say that we/I need to realize that there's so much more God has for us in our walks with Him if we only grew up a little bit.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text