Monday, January 27, 2014

Life

Tonight I finally went to see the movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". Personally I thought it was a beautiful fairly clean film and it got me thinking. Blame it on the circumstances, but I'm rather introspective these days. I think if any of us could somehow go back and talk to our 5 or even 15 year old selves asking "what do you want to be doing or where do you want to be when you're 25 (in my case 27), 30, 35...?" odds are what would be said would be different than how life panned out. Some of your dreams and plans that you had when you were little did come true, and that's awesome, but I'm going to guess that there are still some differences from what you originally thought life would be like. The problem is that sometimes we can get so caught up in the "this is not how I envisioned my life!" that we waste the precious life we do have.

Right now, I feel like I am basically in a state of a perpetual holding pattern just waiting for what God is going to do and where the "pillar" will lead me (in Exodus terms). I realize that I've only been in this for a whopping 3 months but I began to realize that although many people have told me this, GOD HAS ME HERE FOR A REASON and I should not waste this time. One guy I've come to understand a little bit more through this time is Joseph from the book of Genesis. The guy was a bit of a brat (said by an oldest child), but he definitely got a raw deal. But from Potiphar's house to prison to the palace, God had him there for a reason. God's purpose in having Joseph go through all of those less than ideal situations was much bigger than Joseph or his family could have ever imagined.

Jesus used the parable of the three servants to bring to light the need for us to go out there and do something... it doesn't even have to be big but just...well... something for His kingdom. Most likely you will live to be 90ish (if you're lucky), no do-overs, no mulligans, that's it. And some of those years may not be what you had in mind of what you wanted, but that's no excuse. Going back to the movie, you may not end up fighting a shark or hiking the Himalayas but God has a reason He has you in the situation you are in right now... don't waste your life, don't waste this year, don't waste this day that God has given you. God has given you life to live it... and seek to hear those beautiful words in the end "well done, good and faithful servant".

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text