Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Flying solo

It has now been about a month that I have been flying solo here on the compound as far as missionaries go when it comes to our staff. I won't lie, it's definitely been a challenge, and I am more than ready to relinquish the responsibility back to Bev and Jess when they get back. I've never doubted for a minute the intensity of their jobs or the stress of their positions, but now, I'm like "oh man!" Today was one of those days that I just took a moment with our staff before the day even really began and apologized in advance for what I may end up saying throughout the day just because it seemed like before I even "clocked in", I already had a line of people with questions and demands and patience definitely wasn't there.

It's funny though the lessons I've already learned as I've reached my 1/3 mark...oh man...still 2/3 of the time to go! Anyways... I really have learned a lot so far, things that I either took for granted or just was naive about or just had never had to deal with. I now know that when people have to be admitted into the hospital, they need: bed sheets, a pillow, a basin, a container of drinking water, a mat for their attendant to sleep on, and some money for food (that's not including what they'll need to pay for the medications in what is supposed to be a FREE hospital...but that's besides the point). I've learned how rediculously much gas costs here. I've learned about paperwork needed for work permits. And honestly the list could go on and on. It's definitely been the school of hard knocks, but it's time that I learned this stuff especially since my time here in Uganda is not ending any time soon. But all that to say, PLEASE pray for me that I would be able to manage the next two months, that I'd have wisdom in my leadership, and that I would rest in God and not allow how overwhelmed I may sometimes be to interfere with the tasks God has truly called me to. He knew I would be having to deal with this very hectic time at this point in life...more specifically with one leg which adds a whole other element to things. I'm just so thankful that we have a staff who is full of people I can trust and turn to, and who understands and even can encourage me on days like today when it just seems like too much.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text