Tuesday, March 29, 2011

One LONG day

So this morning started out super fantasically (I may or may not be saying that sarcastically). I woke up at 3:30 to say goodbye to yet another friend as he headed back to the States with out any definite plan (although the desire's there) to come back here. After saying goodbye at 4, I tried to go back to sleep, but to no avail...so I skyped with my fam, had my quiet time, and then went to help with breakfast because we have a team of 10 right now staying here. After breakfast came and went, I went and picked up my legit Ugandan driving permit. And then spent time studying and trying to get other stuff checked off my to do list. I tried to meet with one of my one-on-one discipleship people, but her work detained her, so I came home and studied some more. As I was studying, a certain little girl decided it would be fun to practice her screaming skills and I seriously thought I was going to blow a gasket - 3:30 and I don't make for a very good match, that's for sure. So then I headed off to teach at Jinja SS, and that's where the day starts actually looking up.

I got to Jinja SS, and the kids were late getting there. It's been so cool though with the Bible study there though because it used to just be a few of my guys who came every week, I loved having it be a small group, but then last Friday, that all changed. My boys' friends decided they wanted to come too, so needless to say our number is hanging out at around 20 now (not that numbers mean everything, but I won't lie, it's been quite the encouragement). They all got to the study and we went through Acts 4:23-31 where it's the believer's praying about the threats that Peter and John received. Prayer here, is basically very one-sided with people either screaming, demanding things of God, or just babbling without any real substance. As we finished, they had a lot of questions, and it was just too cool to get to address the issues head on, like What about those who are 'born-agains' who scream all the time? - I was able to scripturally show that what they were doing was bad juju. They asked about what if someone prays to God and also practices witchcraft. They asked about the verse saying that woman must always have a covered head. And then this one kid asked a doozy... "I go for prayers on Sunday, but then I also go and pray at the mosque on Fridays. What does God think about that? " It was a bit like you could hear the brakes screeching as I realized that I had to pick my words wisely. His family is Muslim, but his friends are Christians. And here, with many families, if you get saved and were previously a muslim, you are seriously disowned. We talked about things for a while and I found out later that one of my guys asked him if he would like to accept Christ and he kind of wanted to, but was still kind of hesitant. He's come to the Bible study the past two times, so needless to say, some prayer would be pretty awesome for this kid, I think his name is Rogae, but I'm not 100%, but at least we have a Father who knows His kids names even if we get them wrong.

As I was still on a high from that, I came home and was able to go straight into our newest ministry called "The Upper Room". It's basically our prayer ministry, with a super cool twist where there's worship and some informal Bible study/discussion. I actually love it, and so going from all that happened at the school to that was pretty sweet.

Now, of course though, I get home and waiting for me is an e-mail saying that I owe taxes, even though I've been making payments. Let's just say self-employment tax is for the birds. Talk about a bummer... but pay to Caesar right? I know God will provide, but yeah... The funny thing is that part of the teaching today was how the believers responded in prayer right away to the situation and we should be doing the same, and did I do that? NOOOOO..... I freaked out. I guess I could blame it on the 3:30 thing, but still that was no excuse. So yep, that's another prayer request for you :)

Finally, I'm sitting here, and I've officially been up for 19 1/2 hours. And I'm realizing just what a not-so-happy-camper I am when I'm sleep deprived. I mean talk about having your flesh exposed. I was not a very patient, selfless, or kind person today. But praise God for how He still desires to use us, even on our bad days. I know the good, the bad, and the ugly of the day are all a part of His plan. I just need to "Let go and let God"... and really just ... SLEEP!!!!! :)

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text