Thursday, October 29, 2009

Leero

Leero ngezezzaako ok'ogera olunganda oku somesa abasomi mu Jinja Modern. Baa gamba nti teba sabola okuntegera, noloweko nalowoza nti njaku gezako ebintu bigya.

Ok ok, so that roughly says, "today I tried to speak Luganda to teach the students at Jinja Modern. They said that they can't understand me, so I thought I would try something new." I've been learning Luganda (the language in this area) for a few months now and God has blessed me with getting to pick it up fairly easily, but today it was put to the test. I decided to try a new approach and give the introduction, proposition, list the main points, and give the conclusion to my teaching in Luganda to see if they can grab more from the teaching. They refuse a translator and although I try to speak as slow as I possibly can, some days it just isn't quite enough. It seemed to go fairly well, but we'll see after talking to some of the students from there to see how they really thought it went and if I should do it again. I'll be honest and say that sometimes it seems more difficult for there to be a partial language barrier than a full one because those who know English typically only know it well enough to get things confused (of course that's where I'm at in Luganda too). Ughhh...just keep praying that God would help me to know how to effectively teach these kids and in some way help them to better understand what is being said.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text