Friday, January 8, 2010

The high life

So I've been in Phoenix for the past 24 hours or so on my way to Montana and then Tennessee and I've had the opportunity to stay in a very nice hotel (not my doing but a friend had hookups). While I was on this trip, I got a little glimpse of the life of the upper class, and I'll be honest to say that I wasn't very impressed. So often we live our lives with the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality, when really the "other side" isn't really all that great. I listened to people's conversations of complaining about drivers, went into stores where pieces of clothes seriously cost more than my first car, and went to restaurants where for breakfast alone you have to take out a small loan. Don't get me wrong, the hotel was beautiful and everywhere I went the staff was awesome because they were real people, but the people they served were far from that. Even while I've been here I've found myself almost needing to conform to the clothes, mannerisms, etc... of the people. It's all about image, and honestly it's very sad. I just think of how little it all means in the end, and that when it comes to eternity it's actually worthless. I'm not getting down on people who have money - if they do and they've worked hard for it and they don't let it rule over them, then high five to them, but I can definitely see how Jesus said that "it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven", salvation is about humility about coming before God admitting that you are nothing and have nothing of value before Him and how you DESPERATELY need Him and when people can buy anything and live by what's in their bank account than what's in their heart, it is very hard to come to that saving relationship with Christ. You hear about outreaches all the time to the poor, and that's amazing, but honestly I'm starting to see that those who are "rich" are even more in need of being shown their need for a Savior. Anyways, just a though/observation/pondering.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text