Thursday, June 2, 2011

And here we have the big 2-5

Many of you have heard about what has been referred to as "love languages", some people need quality time, others gifts, others words of affirmation. For me, above everything else, for me to really "feel the love" I am hands down an "acts of service" kind of girl. Don't get me wrong, I love gifts and words spoken from the heart, but it blows my mind when people do stuff for me. Even the smallest things mean so much to me. Well, today... let's just say I felt the love in some very big ways! I wrote my last blog over 24 hours ago and was dreading turning twenty five, but because of today, I'll look at this birthday with some of the most amazing memories. I'm honestly still in shock about just how perfect it really was.

To start with, I woke up and right away got a call from my family who sang to me and were the first to really wish me happy birthday. From there, it was time for prayer with our staff and then Ryan and I went off to breakfast at Jude's which is a tradition for everyone's birthday. We then met up with Jen and Kenna and headed out to the place we now refer to as "the other side" which is seriously one of my most favorite places to go because it's so quiet and you can look out and see for miles and miles. We came back and headed out to Leo's for some Indian food for lunch and Bev was able to come and meet us so that was really cool. Then it was time to begin watching the new Pirates movie (wink wink). While I was watching it, I got the call that my birthday package from my mom arrived so I went to pick that up. Then Jen surprised me and took me to get a massage and a pedicure...it was glorious! When the pedi was over, we went to a restaurant called The Keep, and as I turned the corner, I saw tons of green balloons and an awesome collection of friends and friends who are more like family who had gathered for a surprise party. We had some killer cake and it was just so sweet for them all to come out and I honestly can't believe that nobody told me about it. I never get surprised but today was defined by surprises. There was a schedule that I had no control over, and it was absolutely beautiful! Everything about today was perfect!

You know, today I was thinking, that in my mind I don't know if I've ever experienced a more tangible representation of God's grace (aside from the obvious of what Jesus has done for me). Grace is defined as "unmerited favor" and the whole day I just couldn't believe that so many people who I care about were doing these things because it was my birthday. They chose to take time out of their day (some their whole day) in order to make this day special and not as painful for me. I don't deserve them doing that by any means. I know my faults, I know I'm not a cup of tea all the time, I know I'm a bit of a drama queen, I know I'm stubborn, sarcastic, and have major foot in mouth disease, and yet people still love me in spite of those things. God amazes me that He blesses us with such amazing people to surround us in order to encourage us and love us even though in our eyes we may seem unworthy of that. There's nothing I can ever do to earn God's grace, it's just something I need to bask in and be thankful for and that's where I'm at with the events of today. Again, for the special things that were done and what God showed me through them, I will NEVER forget my twenty fifth birthday.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text