Friday, June 17, 2011

Tomorrow

We live in a world of procrastination. Homework, housework, deadlines, bills... we like to put it off until the last possible second. One thing you find a lot of people putting off is making a decision to follow Christ. They like to say, "After I'm done with school", "After I get married", "After I have some 'fun' that's when I'll give my life to Christ". Well, I hate to be the one to tell you, but there may not be an "after". I know this post is strangely morbid, but I've been surrounded by a lot of brushes with eternity lately in the world around me. Two great guys I know have suffered heart troubles that could of killed them and just yesterday at the market here in Jinja a truck lost control and crashed into a little booth killing a family. That last one really got me thinking... you really really never know. Sure we like to say we all want to die at the age of 96 in our sleep holding hands with our spouse (or whatever floats your boat), but when it really comes down to it, none of us is even guaranteed tomorrow. That family woke up yesterday, had some tea, got ready, and thought they were just going to go about their day as usual. Very few people wake up knowing they will die that day when you really think about it. We all think, "I'll never be that statistic of heart attacks/car wrecks/household accidents".

This is where you see the missionary in me... the Bible says "Today is the day of salvation". Eternity is a whole heck of a lot longer than this life. You may say that you don't believe in heaven, that when we die we're just worm food, and that's the end of the story. But what if you're wrong? What if you do become a statistic, what if you stand before Jesus with his nail pierced hands, and your knee bows before him realizing you denied the only one whoever truly loved you... more than that boyfriend who kept telling you "if you love me...", more than that bottle, more than that degree, more than that bank account, more than those friends who were with you on Friday night but come Saturday morning are nowhere to be found. What if...

If you've been living the life of "after's", if you've been living that life of running...running to anything and anyone to give you that peace and fulfillment only He can give... I ask, no wait, I beg you to really search your heart and ask yourself that cliche question, "Where WILL I go when I die?" And if you don't know but want to, please give your life to him right now. Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE life. If there were any other way to heaven, he wouldn't have had to come and go through what he did in order to bridge the gap between our sinful selves and a holy God.

The book of Romans says, "If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Right now cry out to God, pray to him in your own words confessing you're a sinner, that without him you're nothing, that you believe he died on the cross for your sins, and rose from the dead so you could spend eternity with him, and that you want him to come into your life, change you, consume you, and save you. If you can pray that and truly believe it and you seek to know God and have a true relationship with him, then you my friend can rest easy tonight knowing that if you become a random statistic of ceilings collapsing (or whatever it may be) that you get to spend eternity with one amazing God!

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text