Thursday, July 2, 2009

Miss Nazziwa


Right now, I'm sitting on my couch in the middle of the highlight of today. I've spent the past hour or so with one of my girls sleeping on my lap. Nazziwa who is now 8 (I think) lives on the compound with one of our staff members who has taken her in. This girl has one of those heart-breaking stories that you wouldn't believe and it just hit me how intense it is as I have her sitting here with me. She has both Osteomiolitis and Sickle-cell anemia and is so skinny her upper arm is about as thick as my two fingers together. She used to live in this place called Loco where this one lady was trying to care for her after her parents either died or abandoned her and while she was with this lady she ended up also getting extreme burns on part of her body because something that cooking fell on her. She came to live here on the compound when she was around 3 years old when she was seriously almost dead, and Julie, the one who takes care of her, couldn't bear to leave her there. It's hard for me to think that this girl had potential to not to be around anymore as she has such an awesome little personality. She has such a stubborn attitude and it's just hilarious talking to her, because if she doesn't want to do something, she's not gonna do it. But the diseases she has cause her so much pain, that when she has a flair-up it breaks your heart to see her like that. One thing that I thank God for is how He has given me my past with all my medical stuff because even though my past isn't filled with a fraction of the pain she's experienced, I'm able to somewhat understand what it's like and know how to minister to her on a level that maybe others don't. I love how God has given each one of us our own past, our own struggles, our own testimonies in order for us to know Him more and also to minister to others. He's just so good!

1 comment:

livin4gzus said...

Nazziwa, oh how I miss her! Thank you for loving on her. Give her a big kiss for me.

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text