Sunday, July 5, 2009

Our very first blood drive

Our church does a lot of work with the prisons and part of that work is taking their sick to the hospital. A couple of weeks ago there were a couple of prisoners who were in very bad condition and needed blood, but the hospital was out of blood, and thus the idea of the blood drive was born. Red Cross has been pretty desperate for blood here and they have even been going to the secondary (high) schools trying to get donations. Today we had our own little blood drive. We honestly weren't sure how it was going to work or what sort of response we were going to get but God is so good and answered so many prayers! There were 26 people who gave and a lot more were willing but because they either took medication or were sick or of course those who had HIV who couldn't. Even though for every 1 who gave there were 2 who were rejected, I'm just so stoked to see our little church's desire to give of themselves. I think one of the coolest parts was seeing the "bazungu" population of the church giving right alongside the Ugandans. We really acted like a body and it was just way awesome!



On a personal note, I had wanted to be the first one because I had to run into the 2nd service to do announcements and because they got here late it was down to the wire and so I chugged the soda that I was supposed to sip and ate my cookies really really fast and as I went up to do announcements, I seriously almost passed out.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text