Monday, July 5, 2010

An (gulp) Adventure

So I've been trying to be more daring and take more "risks" and not be such a big chicken, well...today I realized that risk taking/dangerous stuff is not my cup of tea. I went with the Clovis' and Pilchers white water rafting...that's right folks - I went rafting down the Nile on class 5 rapids!!!! Me, the girl who falls just walking across the room and is afraid sometimes of her own shadow actually went rafting. Before I go into the gory details, I just have to say that I am glad that I did just so that I won't always be wondering if I should/could. It definitely was an experience and needless to say one that I'm not planning on reliving any time soon.



We began the day with the super fun safety training where they tell you what to do if/when you encounter the various risks that come with rafting, it's a real pep talk...not! The first couple of rapids really weren't bad at all, they were exciting and just at the level of "danger" that I'm ok with. But then came the big 'un...dun dun dun...Silver Back. Our guide warned us that this rapid was very unpredictable and so she refreshed us on what to do if we get knocked out. We paddled, hit the rapids and almost immediately our boat flipped and I saw a big wall of white water as I fell into the river. I seriously felt like I was under the water for longer than anyone ever should be. I honestly don't know if I ever have been as close to the feeling like I was going to die as I did during that time. It really did shake me to my core, especially since I'm not a big fan of big water in the first place, hence this being such a big accomplishment for me.


During that time in the water I thought it would be fun to see what it feels like to be a rock on the bottom of the Nile and so I bounced off of a couple of rocks and got pretty beat up. And just so you know I'm not a big baby, according to the initial report on the x-rays, it looks like I may have fractured the top of my foot. It swelled rather nicely and it doesn't necessarily tickle when I move it or apply any sort of weight to it so I'm guessing a fracture sounds just about right. Oh...the joys of this season of life. This week was going to be a doozie anyway and so now it's a whole other ball game, I'm just glad again in all this chaos and pain (both physical and emotional) God is still on the throne.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text