Friday, February 25, 2011

What a day!

Well, for the past couple of days I have been feeling rather tired and I guess the best way to describe it is "off". You know when you just feel like something's wrong. Well, being that I was a rather tired individual, last night I desperately wanted a good night of sleep as I knew today and the rest of the weekend would be a bit of a doozy. But, as luck would have it, last night I couldn't sleep at all. I woke up this morning anticipating a long day ahead but little did I know just how long. We have a saying here in Uganda that basically "nothing's ever easy" and that could define the day. First I went to breakfast and the eggs weren't there so we waited for those to come for a while. Then while waiting I thought I'd go to this one shop that was on my to-do list for the day and they weren't open. Then I went to where you get your driving permit and waited for over an hour and even during that they had to keep re-doing everything and let's just say the people there weren't in a very good mood. Then... I went to lunch at a friend's house and it was then that I started to feel like I was run over by a school bus. I went into town to get tested for Malaria and it turns out that I was positive. Went to run to the grocery store and at the police station they were getting for the onset of another riot so we got out of there. Came back home and watched a movie, and now it's go time with setting up for saying goodbye to JB and his family and the timing couldn't be more "perfect" for me feeling the way that I do.

I've been dreading this weekend for months (even years). Ever since I heard JB was planning on moving back home to plant a church in his village, I knew the day for goodbyes would come. I just can't believer the day is almost upon us. Tomorrow afternoon, we're having a huge shin-dig to say goodbye to JB and his family and to celebrate the past 13 years they have been a part of this church family. And it just so happens that I'm slotted to be the MC, so needless to say having Malaria doesn't quite fit in with the "plan".

To describe Malaria to you all who have never experienced this glorious little parasite, let me try to explain it to you. You're living life, and then you start to get really tired, you feel a head ache you don't normally have, and you kind of have aches and pains off and on, and then one day it's like "WHAM!". All of a sudden you feel like you've been flattened to the ground with a fever, your stomach in knots, and you can't think straight. (Of course all of this depends on how advanced it is). Needless to say, that's how I feel now. And as the medication makes its way through my body and poisons those nasty little things the feeling gets worse before it gets better.

The thing I have to remind myself of through all of this, is that none of this is taking God by surprise. It's not like He's saying "Oh no! Not Malaria! Not now!!!" He knows what's going down, He knows how much of a struggle I'm already having with this upcoming weekend, and He knows how this Malaria is going to hit me. I guess I just have to figure out how much I should be resting and also just how much I should be kind of dying to self so to speak and suck it up for this weekend as I know we're all having a tough time and have a whole lot to do. Boy oh boy... I guess it's true, it really never is easy. But at least I serve a God who knows it all and can handle it all and that in my weakness, His strength can truly show.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text