Saturday, May 9, 2009

A little field trip

As I was on the way back to my house from the main house, some of the kids said, "Kelli, we're bored, take us somewhere". Now it was about lunch time so I decided to take four of them on a little field trip into down to have lunch at my favorite place in Jinja, Flavours. I pull up to Flavours in our truck and the four of them get out in their miscellaneous attire, as you know how all kids dress when they dress themselves. I can honestly only imagine how we looked coming into these posh little restaurant the way we did, but it was awesome. We sat down in the garden and the kids were kind of in shock about the place as they gave us placemats and cloth napkins and then the kids ordered Fanta Berry and fish sticks. We sat around and talked and laughed, now mind you, not one of them was over ten years old so it was totally laid back and just a really cool time being silly. The kids got their drinks and were impressed when they were given glasses and the waiter poured the cokes into and then they got the food and it was the first time they had tarter sauce and one of them took his finger and ate every last bit of it. All of the kids annihilated their food and I just had fun watching them have this experience. Now, I don't want you to think that I'm feeding some needy children, these kids have food, it was just a fine time to hang out.

This whole experience got me thinking about how childhood in America is marked by going to places like McDonalds but they don't have anything even remotely like McDonalds here, I don't know it just kind of hit me about those little things that are such a vital part of growing up in our minds aren't here and the kids here are content...hmmmm...just one of those thoughts.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text