Monday, January 2, 2012

A wild and crazy ride

I'm one of those people who has a sickness in that I can't stop moving, working, etc... I'm a perfectionist, workaholic, etc... and when you have those tendencies you definitely don't know what to do with yourself when the perpetual motion that is life stops or slows down. But right now I need to stop and at least explain some of what has happened these past couple of days.

Right now, I'm sitting in a hospital room with my dad sleeping after he had to be admitted due to some complications with his diabetes. Since July he was having severe memory and neurological problems and nobody seemed to know what was going on. They just seemed to try and throw random diagnoses and treatments at him and told him to basically wait and hope that they worked. It seemed like nobody really cared about getting him better. I had heard about all this from afar and finally when I came back last month I saw it for myself and I can tell you now that my heart hurts even more for those who have to care for their loved ones who suffer from MS, Alzheimers, Dementia, etc... because seeing my dad like that was awful! He would make no sense, fumble over words, stutter, stumble, you name it, he was not my dad anymore. My daddy is my hero, the strong one, the smartest guy I know, and seeing him in the state he's been in over the past month was surreal.

Yesterday morning I was having my quiet time and I overheard my dad trying to talk to my mom and he again wasn't making much sense and she insisted he check his blood sugars (He's had Type 1 diabetes since before I was born), his sugars were so high they wouldn't even register, after quite an ordeal of calling in some friends who are in the medical field and are familiar with Type 1 Diabetes, we were able to get his sugars down but still not enough and the decision was made to get him to the hospital. We got him here by around 1pm on New Years Day, and the people at Presbyterian Hospital did a great job at getting to work. They took test after test, and the on-call Endocrinology doctor we called in the morning came by and he got down to the nitty gritty. It was so awesome! By 5ish he was admitted and the tests continued. He kept improving as the evening progressed and when I left he was sleeping better than I've seen him in a long time.

This morning I came down to the hospital bright and early and my dad was a different person from how he had been the whole month before. It was so cool! Then after visiting him I went home to rally my brothers to get to work and do the laundry (our washing machine has been broken for a little over a month and we're getting a new one delivered soon but in the mean time we get to partake in the joys of Laundromats). After Kyle making breakfast and picking up coffee we stormed the place and snagged about 10 washers and then dryers and I'll tell you the visual of us there with our Starbucks and not really knowing what we were doing was pretty hilarious. Then going to the house we had a folding party and it was just way too funny having that whole experience.

And again, now I'm here with him relieving my mom so she can go to work. Getting to sit next to my dad and hear him make full intelligent conversation without stuttering or making up random things is pretty much the best thing in the world. The way that God has worked at the beginning of this year (and it's only been 2 days!) has been amazing and just an awesome testimony to how God's timing and ways are perfect and beyond what we could ever think of ourselves.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text