Monday, April 12, 2010

A birthday and a wedding

Today was quite possibly one of the most exhausting "off" days, it was all fun stuff, but boy am I exhausted but I just had to chronicle the day for fear of forgetting some of the highlights.

This morning began with Ryan and I rocking the gym and I think I've finally recovered from my knee going out and was able to run for about 20 minutes (which I haven't been able to do in a long time). After that, Ryan, Judy, Rochelle, Malia and I headed out to Jinja Nile Resort to swim for Malia's birthday where we met a friend of mine and her kids. We swam until about 2 and then we ran home, Ryan and I went to town to buy presents for the birthday girl as well as for the couple getting married and then it was time to get ready.


The wedding was absolutely awesome and really just a great "cultural" experience. It was super small because Irege and Monica have technically been married since 1979 when he paid bride price for her, but they still wanted to finally have a church wedding. It was just our staff who was invited and so it was about 30 people and because we all really knew each other we were able to really just have a good time. Monica made her entrance on time (which is a miracle no matter where you're at in the world) and it was just a really sweet ceremony. Then for the reception, we had samosas and cokes and of course cake and then we danced it up. It was a lot of fun!


Oh, and on an added note, I wore for the first time what is called a gomez (or gomesi - I'm still not so sure). This is a traditional Ugandan dress which is made of yards of fabric, pointy sleeves, two buttons on top and then a really big belt. Most women wear one for big occasions, although many women in the village only have a gomez to wear as their every day wear. It is very hot and you're always having to readjust things and make sure you're not stepping on the bottom or becoming unwound, but our staff got such a kick out of the fact that I finally wore one that I may have to cave in and get my own someday because the one I used was Judy's.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text