Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day in Uganda!


My poor Ugandan family, they had no idea what hit them when this March 17th rolled around. Last year, we were traveling from Kenya and so it was pretty uneventful, and so today I made sure that we did it right. My American family already rocked St. Patrick's day for me back in February right before I left but today I got to do the legit thing with the people here.

It was so awesome because even our Ugandan staff wore green for me. Looking around the church tonight you could see who really were a part of our staff with all the green outfits. Everyone made me smile so much because even in the States, the only people who ever got into the day was my family and so it was really just a day full of disappointment but capped off with fun. Today though, was awesome all around and it was really like another birthday for me - I just felt so loved!

I spent the day with going to gym, then spent the rest of the morning in the kitchen cooking up corned beef and cabbage Uganda style. It was actually more of a stew since the corned beef was canned, but it worked out really well. I also whipped up a little green Jello No Bake Cheesecake. I then decorated the house. The afternoon was completed with a very hot walk to a primary school, studying for a teaching, and sipping a beautiful iced vanilla latte.

We had another awesome Bible study in 1 Thessalonians and then it was party time. The "family" came into the house and put on the extra garb I had set aside for them. I had also made a fancy little punch for them that my family makes every year. We put on a little Irish music and we had a great time! I loved this whole day and tonight having the food actually turned out and they all actually had an awesome time.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text