Monday, March 8, 2010

Women's Day

Today was a very different day to say the least. For starters, it was nice and rainy and so that just automatically gave the day a relaxed feel, not to mention that today is technically my day “off” which just put the icing on the cake, and to add to that even more today was a national holiday. Every March 8th comes a glorious little holiday here in Uganda called Women’s Day, to put it in “Kelli terms”: it’s the one day a year where men technically have to actually do something for their wives (or men for the women in their lives-don’t get me started on the other 364 days during the year). All this to say it was a very laid back day. I spent the day trying out my little $30 espresso machine, reading, and just messing around on my computer. Not productive by any means, but it wasn’t anything to complain about. The afternoon though was where my highlight came. After having my teaching at Jinja SS cancelled due to it being a holiday (they didn’t quite think the scheduling through when they asked me to come), I was able to just sit and talk and laugh with a couple of our ladies here. It was so much fun! Very rarely do we get opportunities to just hang out and it was just awesome to put all “business” aside and just relax and enjoy one another’s company. We then all gathered together - there were about 50 of us when it was all said and done - and we ate the amazing food the guys spent the afternoon preparing. My stomach is still hurting from all the posho, rice, meat, and chicken I ended up eating. We all (missionary and Ugandan staff) just had an awesome time spending the evening together laughing and playing and I just am so excited that we were able to have all this time together and really be like a family.

This picture sums up the whole purpose behind Women's Day in my mind, this is Martin serving his wife Alice - they have an awesome relationship and a great family and seeing him do this for her with such tenderness and her gratitude shining, it made the whole evening for me.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text