Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sobering...

So tonight we had our monthly missionary fellowship where the missionaries of the Jinja area get together from all sorts of denominations to just eat food, hear a devo, and talk to people. It's cool to hear that most of them experience a lot of the same trials and discouragements that I am going through and they've been on the field a whole heck of a lot longer than I have.

I was able to spend some time talking to this one girl who runs an AIDS orphanage with her husband. They have 33 kids there and they all have AIDS or are HIV positive. I am just blown away by that because there's so much involved with HIV/AIDS that to have 33 kids who get severely sick frequently and not only that but have had to deal with parents dying or deserting them and also coping with the fact that they have basically been told they're going to die a lot sooner than they though. I have been in Uganda about 4 months and have kind of realized that AIDS is kind of like termites or bed bugs because it's under the surface and you have no idea that it's really there or that there's a problem until you do a little digging. Please pray for these kids, especially this one girl named Lydia, she's 15 and absolutely one of the coolest girls I've ever met in my life, it's one of those things, there's just something special about her and to think that she has AIDS really blows my mind.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text