Saturday, April 11, 2009

Rockin' a little OCC action

Today I was blessed with an awesome opportunity that I've wanted to have for a really long time: participate in an OCC shoebox distribution. We loaded up in our little green van with an awesome group of people from our church and Jess driving and we drove for about an hour and a half through the beautiful Ugandan countryside full of hills and all sorts of crops (it still takes my breath away when I see it)to a little village called Naiwakona. We had about 150 boxes to hand out there. I have to tell you that it was hard from an organizational standpoint just because things are a little "different" in the village and not to mention that for the whole Gospel presentation Jess and I had to stand outside because we were frightening some of the little kids because they weren't used to seeing "Mzungus". After Lillian rocked keeping the kids in line, we handed out the presents (pictures to come). It went fairly well, and it was good practice for us for next year.

After doing that and seeing little kids getting what was probably their only gift for their entire life, we went to the house of Joshua, the local pastor, for lunch. I had been craving local food for a while and so I was stoked to get to have legit Ugandan cuisine ;). We had posho, rice, stew, and a little meat. I'm still learning proper etiquette for dining in the village, so I was watching our local staff members very closely as to how they conducted themselves. Needless to say, the food hit the spot.

All in all it was a really cool experience.

No comments:

Followers

RSS Subscribe

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Copyright Text